ALREADY A SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT? Click here for the “Summer Information Sheet”
MAKING A SCHOLARSHIP REQUEST
Each Spring, the Foundation awards seventy (70) scholarships to Houston area high school seniors for undergraduate study. The award is $18,000., disbursed over four years, provided the recipient conforms to the requirements set forth in the award. The recipient may select any major at any four year college or university in the United States.
Scholarship applications may be obtained during the student’s senior year in high school. Students may access our scholarship forms online (see link below) or write to us to request a copy of the forms after the start of their senior year. If writing to the Foundation, the student must identify their high school, month and year of graduation, and include their name and home address. Address all correspondence as follows:
George and Mary Josephine Hamman Foundation
3336 Richmond, Suite 310
Houston, Texas 77098
A number of finalists will be selected from the applications received and will be invited in for a personal interview. They will subsequently be notified in writing if they will or will not receive a Hamman Scholarship. If a student is not invited in for a personal interview by April 1, they may assume that they are not a finalist and no correspondence will be forthcoming from the Foundation.
- High School Seniors after the start of their senior year.
- Houston area high school seniors who attend schools or are homeschooled in the following eight counties: Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery or Waller.
- Students who are citizens of the United States. Students with Permanent Resident status are not eligible.
- The Scholarships are awarded based on academics and financial need.
Instructions must be followed accurately to make certain that your application is considered. If you do not understand an instruction, call the Foundation (713-521-4601) for guidance.
- Write for the one page (8 1/2 x 11) SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION and the three page (8 1/2 x 11) FINANCIAL QUALIFICATION STATEMENT, or you may print them using ADOBE Acrobat Reader, by clicking here:
- Complete each line or question on all forms. Anything left blank will result in the application not being considered. Also, “N/A” is not an acceptable answer. “None” or “Zero” may be used where appropriate.
- Where “$” signs appear a number is required, either actual or if in the future, an estimate. “Unknown” is not an acceptable answer.
- Do not submit an application before you take the SAT or ACT. To apply for a scholarship, you must have a minimum SAT score of 1000 (on the Math and Critical Reading portions combined), and/or ACT composite score of 21. The writing section of the SAT will be considered, but not in figuring the SAT minimum.
- Submit all items shown at the bottom of the Scholarship Application together in one mailing envelope in the order listed. If an item is received by itself, it is discarded. Incomplete packages are not considered.
- Please do not staple anything (except your photo in the upper right hand corner of your application). Clip or paper clip materials together. Remove high school transcripts from seperate envelopes and clip as the last item in your package of materials.
- Note that if you or your parents filed your income tax return electronically, the detailed paper copies mailed to us must be signed.
- Only mailed or personally delivered applications, with all of the required attachments, are accepted.
- Note that the deadline for the RECEIPT of your application at the Foundation’s offices is 4:00 PM, on Friday, February 19, 2016. Regardless of when an application is postmarked, it will not be considered if it arrives after the deadline.